Sunday, November 21, 2010

Jay-Z Speaks On Shooting Drug-Addicted Brother At The Age Of 12



    Grammy award winning rapper Jay Z ,has spoken for the first time about the day he shot his drug addicted older brother in the shoulder. In his new book "Decoded",the 40-year-old, who
is married to singer Beyonce, was just 12 when the shooting occurred after Eric stole his ring. ‘I thought my life was over,’ he said. ‘I thought I’d go to jail for ever. It was terrible. I was a boy, a child. I was terrified.’ However the star, whose real name is Shawn Carter, was never prosecuted over the incident as his brother did not press charges.
In fact Eric even apologized for his crack addition when his younger sibling visited him in hospital. In a revealing interview with the Guardian’s Weekend magazine Carter says he still finds the shooting difficult to talk about. He refers to the incident in the song You Must Love Me from his second album In My Lifetime, Vol. 1. ‘Saw the devil in your eyes,’ he raps. ‘High off more than weed, confused, I just closed my young eyes and squeezed. ‘What a sound, opened my eyes just in time to see ya stumbling to the ground.’
The hip hop star also discusses his troubled upbringing in a Brooklyn housing project. ‘Guns were everywhere. You didn’t have to go far to get one. Just everywhere, [Guns] were around every day.’There were shootouts, but I never shot anyone else. Most people in shootouts don’t get shot.’ Carter, who recently released his first book Decoded, was shot at three times but remarkably came away unscathed each time. ‘It’s like there was some rogue angel watching over us,’ he says. He eventually turned his life around by throwing himself into his music career and is now the world’s most successful and richest rappers with a large fan base . He has won ten Grammy Awards and sold 50 million albums worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment