Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Dad Went To The Press And Just Told Them A Bunch Of Lies......Rihanna


Grammy award singer Rihanna is on the cover of Vogue magazine's  April issue.In it she talks about her relationship with her dad,her ex Boyfriends Matt Kemp and Chris Brown, being a role model,the controversial S & M video, her reply to  Movie Director James Cameron who said her upcoming movie Battleship "degrades Cinema". Excerpts .......

On being betrayed by her father who recently sold childhood pictures of the star
(she responded tearfully)“It really makes me question what I have become to my father. Like, what do I even mean to him? It’s really strange. That’s the only word I can think of to describe it, because you grow up with your father, you know him, you are a part of him, for goodness’ sakes! And then he does something so bizarre that I can’t begin to wrap my mind around it. You hear the horror stories about
more story and pics after the jump
people going behind people’s backs and doing strange things, but you always think, Not my family. My father would never do that to me.
“That was the first time. My dad went to the press and just told them a bunch of lies. Because he hadn’t talked to me after…that whole thing…. He never called to find out how I was doing, if I was alive, nothing. He just never called. He went straight to the press and got a check. And now he does it again

On dating since her breakup with Matt Kemp: “I just kind of shut down from that. I just let it go. I don’t ever want to have to depend on a relationship. I think it’s a really hard thing to find love. It’s beautiful. Nothing can match it. But I want to make sure that I find other things in life that I love besides…love.”

On being a role model: pop culture is changing. It is becoming more rock ’n’ roll. And pop icons nowadays are very fearless, unapologetic, edgy, and it’s a lot for people to swallow sometimes. Because people still think pop star equals role model, but it’s almost impossible to walk that line. I’ve struggled with it and have come to the conclusion that I can live my life for me. I can definitely want to teach girls
On finding the courage to be herself: “The minute I discovered that freedom and started toying with it, I loved it so much that it felt real for the first time. When something feels real, you don’t make any apologies for it. When it feels good to you, nothing else matters. Everything else is just noise.”
I have to say that even though I’ve pretty much read the entire article I’m  still grabbing a fresh copy for myself. It’s a very revealing interview and shows why despite critics who say she can’t sing, Rihanna is here to stay.
On working out: “I hate going to the gym and doing it the old fashioned way. I hate anything that’s too straightforward, too routine, too familiar. I get bored really, really quickly.”
On cutting her hair for Umbrella: “When I cut my hair, the whole sound changed, my style changed.”
On how going through the assault affected her creatively: “it actually gave me a lot of liberation. What I mean is, I was able to tap into the personal part of my music. I started to tell stories through my music that were actually my stories. My album before that, there was still a little bit of protection, there was still an innocence to me. And what that time in my life did was kind of wake people up: it’s not all bed of roses. My life is like yours.”
On that controversial S&M video: the song can be taken literally, but it’s actually a very metaphorical song. It’s about the love-hate relationship you have with the media and how sometimes the pain is pleasurable. We feed off it, you know – or I do. And it was a very personal message I wanted to get across. I wanted the video to say that but still play off of the theme of S&M. and I mean, wow, people went crazy. They just saw sex. And when I see that video, I don’t see that at all. I wanted it to be cheeky. There’s no other way to take it.
On how it changed her perspective: “It made me look at the world in a much bigger way because my life was suddenly superduper magnified; all eyes were on me. I needed that in my life to know how to say, ‘F—k off.’ To know how to keep my head high even in the worst situations. I keep using the word unapologetic. But there is a freedom that has come with all of that. Where you feel like you don’t have to make an excuse for being yourself.”
When asked what she thought of James Cameron saying that her upcoming movie Battleship degrades cinema Rihanna graciously replied, “I’m a huge fan of James Cameron, and as always, I thank him for his support.”

On her album Rated R: “I think that’s what shocked people the most about Rated R because it came from a very defensive place. It was darker, edgier, more aggressive. I can’t come out singing happy songs if I’m not happy. Even the look of it, the styling, what I wore. But I quickly found peace in myself: who I am and what I want to do in life. I couldn’t hold on to all that pain and anger, because I knew that wasn’t me at all.”

No comments:

Post a Comment