Thursday, April 7, 2011

Music's First Ladies Rock Elle's Music Issue

The latest edition of Elle Magazine features  some of music's chart topping female artist. Artist featured in the issue include Gwen Sefani ( who says she is so vain), Aretha Franklin, Willow Smith, Nicki Minaj and Jennifer Hudson.

Gwen on performing while pregnant: “It was horrible. Certain songs would make me want to puke. You feel pretty gross when you are first pregnant. You don’t feel cute, you feel disgusting. You’re getting fat. It was hard. I mean, I’m very vain. That would be my middle name. Of course I am, you know what I mean? I love the visual.”
On writing hits: Prince, who is one of my idols, gave me some advice when I worked with him: “Have you ever just tried writing a hit? Like, don’t just try writing a song, try and write a hit song.” I remember him saying that and me thinking, Yeah, you’re right. Why would you write anything else?”


On wardrobe options for her tour: “I am going to rock this [size] 16. Sixteen probably sounds large to girls who wear 10s and 12s, but I love it, because it looks good on me.”
Nicki Minaj on being a rapper: “I always wanted to play with

more after the jump
the boys. I didn’t want to be a pawn in their game or have a sidekick role. I wanted to be more of a lead character – a superhero.”

On performing in gay clubs when she was younger: “In high school I was like, ‘Well, these are drag queens lip-synching, and I can really sing; why can’t I go up there?’ I would win all the talent shows.”
On the changes in her life: “My surroundings and my lifestyle are different, and it’s like, what part of Jennifer is the same as 10 years ago? The only thing I have to hold on to is my voice.”


On her full length album: “It’s going to be a party beat. I think you’re gonna like it!”

Check Out Nicki Minaj's spread






No comments:

Post a Comment