Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Yeoal Exclusive----Makeup Artist Irantiola Funmilola Of Abeke Makeovers Talks Abut The Industry And Trends To Watch Out For In 2011

Irantiola Funmilola
    Focused, determined, beautiful and extremely talented., these are some of the words that describe City People’s Makeup artist of the year Irantiola Funmilola, of  Abeke Makeovers.
    Within a short period of time,she has carved a name for herself as the go to artist for beautiful and creative makeup services. This Lagos business school alumnus spared time away from her busy schedule for an exclusive interview with Yeoal, where she talked about a wide range of issues from her love for her job, tips on how to stay fly this harmattan season and makeup trends to look out for this year.


Yeoal...Who is Irantiola Funmilola?
I am a graduate of Mass communication OOU,Ogun state.A Goldman Sachs Scholar from Lagos Business School. I am in my late twenties. I had no formal training in fashion or make-up. I just developed an interest in it and i groomed myself though books, pictures and a lot of practice.
I am strong,driven and very determined lady. I have a passion for improving upon the status quo especially when it comes to things related to beauty and fashion.

Yeoal....What prompted your interest in makeup artistry and when was Abeke makeovers born?
A major incident in secondary school opened my eyes to the power of Makeup. I had a 

more after the jump
guardian whose daughter took me like a sister and whenever she came home from the university she was in, she’ll let me hang around her.
I remember vividly this day that I sat across from her and there she was doing makeup . I didn’t know what she was doing in particular I just know I saw her in five different looks that day.
Whenever she tweaked something, she'll look different again, What blew my mind most was when she wore her wig, she totally changed and I still cannot forget how my mouth was left open for hours literally till this day.
That event sparked my interest in beauty and fashion generally.
That being said, Abeke makeovers was born in November 2005 though it was initially known as Abeke salon and spa services . I managed it along with my school in Ogun state till 2008 when i closed it up and relocated to Lagos.

Yeoal.....Have you faced any challenge in the business, If yes what is it?
Besides the generic problems every entrepreneur in Nigeria faces, the main challenge is the fact that our business is seasonal. Everyone knows that there's the October to December rush, the January lull, fasting periods and summer when every one travels out. As such you have varying fluctuations in sales because sales is dependent on how conducive the season is for parties and events.


Yeoal....What makeup tool can't you do without.
Iman Blot powder.

Yeoal....What facial feature do you think people notice first hence should be emphasized?
It is often said that the eyes are the windows to the soul and unless a person has another motive when he is talking to you, he wouldn't be looking anywhere else on your face other than your eyes.
Yeoal.....If you weren't a makeup artist, what would you have been?
I'll probably have been a full time Fashion stylist and personal shopper or a Full time Interior decorator.
I say full-time because i already do them part time.

Yeoal....What stands you out from other makeup artists?
My passion for always trying to maximize the potential of every face i touch.

Yeoal....Congratulations on your recent award by City People as the best makeup artist in Nigeria. What was the feeling like when you won?
Thank you. I felt great and grateful to the people who made it happen for me.

Yeoal....What common makeup faux pas do people make?
Drawing a thin line around their lips instead of shading in order to avoid lipstick feathering.

Yeoal....In your own opinion what makeup rule / application should not be compromised?
Skin preparation
Yeoal....The harmattan weather is particularly harsh this year, any makeup tip for looking good while it last?
Apply your moisturiser on your skin and let it settle for up to 10 minutes before you wear your makeup or if your skin is fairly smooth wear a tinted moisturizer instead.

Yeoal....What makeup trend do you think will be dominant in the year 2011?
Wearing proper foundation. People are beginning to loose their fear of foundation because they now realise that if they want that flawless look, they cannot do without it.

Yeoal....Any last word for intending makeup artists.
 Keep at it, it gets harder before it gets easier. May you find favour.


Working on the set of a music video

Photo Credits..... Abeke Makeovers

No comments:

Post a Comment